My friend Theresa, who is a wonderful cook, many years go shared her recipe for peach cake with me.
She wrote it on a sheet of yellow notepad paper than is now faded and stained from many readings and uses.
I make it in the summer, when peaches are ripe and plentiful. After hours of programming, baking provides a nice break. And, unlike programming, everyone understands what I am doing.
- 3 ripe peaches, peeled, sliced, drained well
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Use heavy skillet 9 inches in diameter or deep pie dish
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl
- Beat egg into creamed butter and sugar mixture
- Put aside for now
- Sift (or just mix) dry ingredients together into a separate bowl
- Repeat the next two steps twice
- Beat 1⁄2 of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture
- Beat 1⁄2 of milk into the creamed mixture
- Pour batter into greased skillet
- Put peaches on top of batter
- Bake for 25 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 to 4 Tsp butter
- Crumble together all ingredients
- After cake has cooked for 25 minutes, evenly distribute topping over it
- Bake for another 8 minutes or until the cake moves away from the pan
Updated Jan 31, 2014 to clarify Method. Thanks to Szabolcs Szasz for prompting.